TAMU Chinese School Parents/Guardians Guide
- If a student needs to be absent from the class, parents/guardians should contact the class teacher. If a student needs to leave early from class, the parent of the student must inform the teacher in class before leaving school.
- Please be punctual for student's arrival and pick up. If students stay between classes or after the regular school hours, the parents/guardians of the students will be responsible for the well beings of the students.
- After classes are over, parents/guardians must pick up the students within 10 minutes. The Chinese School is not responsible for any unforeseen problems beyond that time point.
- If pertinent information has changed, such as Email address, telephone number, address, or health insurance coverage, parents/guardians must notify the School immediately to minimize any problems of contacting parents/guardians.
- For each student, it is required that the parent/guardian volunteers at least four hours per semester. Failure to fulfill the requirement will result in a $40 fine and could be at risk of losing their child’s spot the following year.
The volunteer duties include:
- Parents/guardians-On-Duty: help school to maintain order and make a safe environment for the students during class sessions. Need one parent to stay at the hallway outside the classrooms during class sessions and the recess time.
- Events volunteer: help school to prepare for special events (End of semester party, teacher/staff appreciation, Chinese New Year, etc...)
Responsibilities of Parents/guardians-On-Duty
Please Note: It is the parents/guardians' responsibility to remember the duty date.
- Parents/guardians must arrive 5 minutes before their duty time, and stay until the end of their duty time. The Parents/guardians-On-Duty need to sign in and sign out. If they are not available to perform the duties, please find substitutes and notify the school (via email) 2 days in advance. The substitute then reports to School on the day of duty. The school may help parents/guardians find substitutes by providing a list of parents/guardians-on-duty phone numbers. Again, it is parents/guardians' responsibilities to contact them, get agreement with them, and notify the school via email or mail. The email or mail will be the evidence for changing the duty dates.
- Tardiness or absence or leaving early will result in a penalty fee of $40*.
- Keep order at school (during class and recess time): make sure students do not take or play school belongings; make sure students do not make big noises; and make sure students do not fight with other students. During recess, do not allow students to play with the elevator. Please pay special attention to their safety.
- Please help the class teacher set up the equipment and clean the classroom if needed.
* Please Note that if parents/guardians prefer not to perform the school duties, a waiver fee of $40.00 will be assessed during the school registration.
Registration for the new semester takes place during the first three weeks of each semester. Late registration fee is $50.00. At registration time, parents/guardians need to sign the "STATEMENT of AGREEMENT" and pay the tuition fee for the whole semester. Parents/guardians can obtain the Chinese textbook(s) and workbook(s) at registration time. If any is lost, repurchase will be based on the price current at time of purchase.
Withdrawal/Tuition Refund Information
- Withdrawal before the second week of the semester entitles a full refund.
- Withdrawal before the eight week entitles a refund of one half of tuition.
- Withdrawal after the eight week will not have any tuition refunded.
To withdraw a student from school, the parent/guardian must provide a request in writing. Email is acceptable. The refund may not include the cost of textbooks and workbooks.
School Rules and Regulations
The name of our school is TAMU Chinese School. Our classroom teachers will also serve as counselors for students. If students commit offenses, teachers will talk to them individually, or will notify their parents/guardians for further resolution. In order for students to follow rules in a clear manner, the following rules and regulations have been set up.
- Honor your elders, your teachers, and be friendly and loving to your fellow students.
- During class, teacher permission is required if a student wants to leave his or her seat.
- During school sessions, a student -
- Must not leave school/class arbitrarily;
- Must not use the white-board or chalk-board without teacher permission;
- Must not take things from the classroom;
- Must not throw trash except at designated places; must not open drawers;
- Must not disturb other students;
- Must not play with the elevator;
- Must not damage any school possessions.
- During class, a student must not speak arbitrarily or make noise; must not bother other students, must raise a hand before asking a question; must avoid arguments and fighting; must not consume any food.
- The School will not tolerate any students who violate the above rules. If a violation happens for the first time, the student will be warned, second time, will notify the parents/guardians, and the student will not be admitted to school upon a third violation.
- During school, if any student threatens classmates with any items that could cause physical harm, or if students are involved in a fight, the student(s) will be released from school immediately and will not be admitted to the School again.
The rules and regulations above must be followed by all students. We ask the parents/guardians to cooperate in requiring your children to obey these rules and regulations.